This delicious chocolate cake happens to be vegan — but that’s just an extra positive and not the only reason to make it. Non-vegans don’t miss out as this is worth a try. It is moist, light and delicious and because it has dates in it you can convince yourself it’s healthy. There is a little bit of heat from the spices that just add a little extra interest. The single layer cake is perfect as, although it is light, moist and delicious, it is also a little crumbly.
125gr stoned dates chopped quiet small
100ml boiling water
50ml oat or almond milk (and non dairy milk)
1 tsp. vanilla essence
150ml sunflower oil
100gr Soft light brown sugar
150g cream flour
30gr cocoa powder
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
½ tsp. cinnamon
Pinch of mixed spice
2 tsp. baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Lightly oil the base and side of a 20cm spring form tin, line the base with a disk of parchment paper.
- Put the dates in a small pot and cover with boiling water, over a moderate heat return to the boil, then turn off the heat, cover with a lid and allow it to sit until cool and soft.
- Next place the dates in a food processor, add the oat milk, vanilla, sunflower oil and the sugar, pulse until smooth.
- Scrape into a clean bowl.
- In a separate bowl put the flour, spices, and cocoa powder. Sift into another bowl to mix well, and then add to the date mixture.
- Mix well, then scrape into the prepared tin, spread carefully and level the mix with the back of a spoon or a step pallet knife.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until set and cooked through.
- Allow to cool in the tin, as it will be quiet fragile.
- Once completely cool turn out onto a serving plate so the smooth bottom is facing up and peel off the disk of parchment paper, then prepare the icing.
100g bitter chocolate — do check that it has no dairy if you want a vegan cake.
2 tbsp. golden syrup
6 tbsp. coconut or oat cream
- Melt the chocolate and golden syrup in a bowl over a Bain-marie of water,
- Remove from the heat and beat in the coconut cream. Once cooled a little and thickened spread carefully over the cake. Leave in a cool place to set.
- Serve as it is or accompany with some spiced poached plums.
If you would like to contact Mercy email [email protected]
Source: Thanks https://www.echolive.ie/corklives/Recipe-Date-Chocolate-Cake-ef0331f3-5ee5-4e21-808b-5beb9df55409-ds