mother cutting into one-year-old daughter’s birthday cake to find it was COMPLETELY full of mould – Daily Mail

Restaurant News

‘I nearly gagged’: Stomach-turning photos show a mother cutting into her one-year-old daughter’s Michel’s Patisserie birthday cake to find it was COMPLETELY full of mould

  • Mother was horrified to cut into vanilla sponge cake full of green mould 
  • Luckily the mould was discovered before being served at a first birthday party 
  • Mother and daughter ate icing off the cake, not knowing what lay beneath 
  • A $50 dollar voucher has been the only compensation offered 

A mother has shared stomach-churning pictures of a vanilla sponge cake she bought for her daughter’s first birthday after it turned green with mould. 

Jamie Hogan bought the cake from Michel’s Patisserie in Mascot, in Sydney, for her daughter’s first birthday on February 21. 

But as she cut through the floral icing of the cake dust came off it and the sponge was green. 

Jamie Hogan bought the cake from Michel's Patisserie in Sydney's CBD for her daughter's first birthday on February 21

Jamie Hogan bought the cake from Michel’s Patisserie in Sydney’s CBD for her daughter’s first birthday on February 21

But as she cut through the floral icing of the cake dust came off it and the sponge was green

But as she cut through the floral icing of the cake dust came off it and the sponge was green

In a Facebook post the mother wrote: ‘When I cut the cake dust came from it, it completely broke apart as if nothing was holding together but the icing.    

‘I nearly gagged when I put it on my plate. Imagine if we’d served this to people at the party!’ 

The colour of the mould indicated the cake had been left out by the store for a long period of time. 

Jamie added: ‘The worst thing is, Piper and I ate icing off the cake not knowing what lay beneath’. 

She said she felt ill the following day. 

The cake store has since apologised and offered Jamie a $50 voucher for the store. 

The cake store has since apologised and offered Jamie a $50 voucher for the store

The cake store has since apologised and offered Jamie a $50 voucher for the store

In a statement to Daily Mail Australia the store said: ‘After an internal review of the incident we can confirm that the picture shared was a one-off isolated occurrence.

‘This cake was delivered by the supplier to the store less than 24 hours before it was sold. It was already fully decorated meaning the store owner was unable to see the inside of the cake before it was sold.

‘Despite this cake being a popular product with hundreds sold every day, there have been no other incidents identified in the network.

‘Our number one priority remains customer safety and quality and we are working with this supplier to ensure that this does not happen again.’

The Facebook post has been liked more than 4000 likes and hundreds of comments.  

 

 

 

 

  

 

Advertisement

Source: Thanks https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8044765/mother-cutting-one-year-old-daughters-birthday-cake-COMPLETELY-mould.html