Los Angeles vegan restaurants are teaming up with Maggie Baird (Billie Eilish’s mom) and the “Support + Feed” program to assist those in need. Read on to learn how you can help!
COVID-19 is taking a toll on people and businesses worldwide. In efforts to prevent the spread of coronavirus, restaurants reduced their service to pick up or delivery only. A week or two ago, this may have seemed like a minor dip in normal life, but now it appears to be more long-lasting. So how do these restaurants stay afloat and support their employees while keeping them and their customers safe and healthy?
Support + Feed is an initiative created by Maggie Baird and her daughter, Billie Eilish, out of a concern for the sustainability of local plant-based restaurants during the crisis. “We wanted to support them, and at the same time support people who are in need right now,” says Baird. After ordering from Sage Vegan Bistro and getting it delivered to the Midnight Mission, Baird began brainstorming other ideas to help give back and spread the word. So they teamed up with Conscious Cleanup, Eat Drink Vegan, JRF Consulting, Two Tree Events, Highrise PR, and The Darkroom to create this program.
Here’s how it works: Contact a participating restaurant and look for their specific “Support + Feed” instructions (either online, over the phone, or on select delivery platforms). After that, place an order and add on a monetary donation for the Support + Feed program. Throughout the week, the restaurants will continue to collect donations until they have a large enough order to drop off at a donation center. Conscious Cleanup will organize the safe pickup and delivery of the food to designated locations in compliance with CDC regulations.
What are the impacts of this program? By placing orders and adding on donations, you help support the employees of these locally-owned vegan restaurants. In turn, those restaurants are able to share their nourishing plant-based meals with first responders, healthcare workers, senior centers, women’s centers, and homeless shelters. It’s a plant-based, humanitarian, community win-win-win.
- by CHLOE. – (Accepting donations starting 3/30/20)
- Cena Vegan – (323) 250-8965
- Crossroads Kitchen – (323) 782-9245. Phone orders preferred.
- Donut Friend – Highland Park: (213) 908-2745, DTLA: (213) 908-2743
- Hinterhof – (323) 739-0209
- Krimsey’s Cajun Kitchen – (818) 308-6166
- PBJ.LA – (213) 908-2743
- Pura Vita – (323) 688-2303. Phone orders only.
- Real Food Daily – West Hollywood: (310) 289-9910, Pasadena: (626) 844-8900. Phone orders only.
- Sage Vegan Bistro – Echo Park: (213) 989- 1719, Pasadena: (626) 564-8111, Culver City: (424) 228-5835
- SunCafe – (818) 927-4100. Phone orders only.
- 8 major Los Angeles hospitals
- Hollywood Food Coalition
- The Midnight Mission
- St. Francis Center Ascencia in Glendale
- Alexandria House
- Angel Step Inn
- Downtown Women’s Shelter
- The People Concern
- Pasadena Senior Center
- Hollenbeck Palms
- Pasadena Police Department
- Culver City Police Department
Email [email protected] to apply to become a donation center.
RELATED: Get Vegan Ice Cream Delivered From These 8 L.A. Spots
Want even more LA vegan news, food, and lifestyle content? Subscribe to VegOut LA Magazine!
Source: Thanks https://vegoutmag.com/nationwide/news-article.php?id=160