During these unsettling times, birthdays aren’t quite the same days of excitement which they used to be.
Yes you’re stuck in the house – but can have cake.
Surrey Live reports Instagram baker @cakeontherun has shared her two-minute birthday cake recipe, perfect for making during lockdown.
It serves one, it’s made in the microwave and it doesn’t require any flour (ideal if you can’t get hold of any in your local supermarket.)
Plus it is so easy, you don’t need to be a pro baker to make it.
As the recipe uses oats instead of flour, it is totally acceptable to eat it for breakfast, but then again who wouldn’t eat cake for breakfast on their birthday anyway?
Find out where’s delivering near you:
Microwave birthday cake recipe (serves 1):
- 30g oats, blended
- 30g margarine
- 30g sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Plus icing sugar and water for decorating
1. Blend the oats to a powder consistency in a blender.
2. Add all the other ingredients and mix until smooth and creamy.
3. Pour mixture into a mug or small bowl.
4. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
5. Turn out onto a plate and top with icing sugar mixed with water and sprinkles.
Each mini cake has 438 calories.
To make the loaf gluten-free, simply use gluten-free oats.
To make the loaf dairy-free, make sure the margarine has no traces of milk.
Can’t get hold of eggs?
Not a problem. You can still make microwave birthday cake simply by replacing the egg with any of the following.
Plus using any of the alternatives makes the cake vegan-friendly too.
- 3 tbsp aquafaba (juice from a can of chickpeas)
- 3 tbsp water + 1 tbsp ground flax seeds or chia seeds
- 1 mashed ripe banana
- 1 tbsp applesauce
- 3 tbsp milk + 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Source: Thanks https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/birthday-cake-you-can-bake-4022969