One of the only downsides to being vegan has been birthdays. Unless you’ve got some super-generous mates who are willing to buy you an artisan cake, you tend to go without.
But that’s all about to change – because the boys from Bosh! have just released a range of vegan cakes available nationwide. Oh, and it includes a classic vanilla sponge birthday cake.
The cakes, made in collaboration with leading cake manufacturer Finsbury Food Group, are available from Tesco now and will be launching in Asda in July
Everything has been registered and approved by The Vegan Society. And unlike lots of other cakes on the market, they’re pretty cheap. Choose from:
- Ultimate Chocolate Cake (sharing cake) RRP £3.50 – dark and moist, this is a chocolate flavoured sponge, filled and topped with a rich chocolate filling and decorated with chocolate shavings.
- Luscious Lemon Cake (sharing cake) RRP £3.50 – lemon flavoured sponge injected with a zingy lemon syrup, flooded with a lemon favoured icing and sprinkled with candied lemon peel.
- Chocolate Happy Birthday Cake RRP £8.00 – chocolate sponge split and filled with (and covered in) chocolate flavoured frosting. Hand decorated with chocolate buttons, chocolate shavings and hand piped with ‘Happy Birthday’.
- Vanilla Happy Birthday Cake RRP £8.00 – vanilla sponge split and filled with vanilla frosting and raspberry jam and covered in vanilla frosting. Hand decorated with sugar paste stars, tutti frutti coloured sprinkles and hand piped with ‘Happy Birthday’.
According to Kantar, 3.2 billion plant-based meals were made last year – a 17 per cent increase since 2016. And last week, we reported that lockdown was having a significant impact on the way Brits eat.
Lots of people aren’t vegan and don’t want to be fully plant-based, but it’s clear that more and more of us are interested in reducing our meat and dairy consumption for a variety of reasons.
These cakes aren’t just for vegans – they’re for anyone who wants something tasty while taking a little break from animal products.
Henry Firth and Ian Theasby, founders of BOSH!, said: ‘We can’t believe we’re launching our very own BOSH! range of cakes into supermarkets. Finally, tasty vegan-friendly cakes are easily accessible to everyone.
‘We’re passionate about spreading the word that a plant-based diet doesn’t have to be restrictive or boring. As well as encouraging people to explore and develop their vegan cooking skills, we want to reassure people that delicious vegan food is available to all and easy to find on the shelves.
‘Being able to pop one of our new cakes in your shopping trolley means you can be ready for any occasion, worthy of celebration, and ensure that everyone is catered for – and above all, enjoy seriously tasty vegan-friendly food!’
Chocolate fudge cake recipe from Bosh!
Can’t wait to get your mitts on a cake? More interested in baking at the moment? Have a go at making your very own Bruce Bogtrotter chocolate fudge cake with this fail-safe recipe from Bosh!:
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1.5 cup almond milk
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1.5 cups brown sugar (powdered)
- 1/3 cup dairy free butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Put all the cake ingredients in a food processor and whizz together
- Pour equal amounts of the mixture into two greased cake tins
- Bake them both for 30 minutes at 180’C
- Put the brown sugar in a food processor or nutribullet and whizz into a fine powder
- Put all the frosting ingredients into the food processer and whizz into frosting (it may take a while)
- Take the cakes out of the oven and allow to cool down at room temperature
- Put a thick layer of the frosting on top of one of the cakes
- Put the other cake on top
- Coat the entire thing with the rest of the frosting
Interested in learning more vegan cooking? Tune into live cook-alongs with Bosh! on YouTube between May 11 and 15, at 6pm.
You can find all the ingredients you’ll need to cook breakfast hash tacos, nasi goreng, thai tempeh salad, Lebanese spicy stuffed aubergine and Caesar salad here.
Do you have a story to share? Get in touch at [email protected]
Share your views in the comments below.
Source: Thanks https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/09/bosh-launches-first-vegan-cake-range-nationwide-including-birthday-cake-12677306/