Japantown restaurant severely damaged in fire – The Mercury News

Restaurant News

Just as it was reopening for takeout and delivery amid the coronavirus pandemic, a fire has devastated a soul food restaurant in San Jose’s Japantown.

Jackie’s Place was severely damaged in a fire Friday afternoon that gutted the restaurant and forced its closure for the foreseeable future.

“We experienced a fire in our restaurant. Fortunately, everyone made it out safely, but we lost a lot due to the damages,” reads the restaurant’s website. “We will not be open for business until further notice. Thank you all for the ongoing support, and we ask that you keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we navigate through this situation.”

Owned and operated by longtime caterer Jackie Johnson on N. 6th Street since 2018, the restaurant had recently posted a “quarantine menu” that included fried chicken wings and oxtails, brisket and collard greens.

A GoFundMe started by an employee said the blaze began as a grease fire in the BBQ pit that quickly spread. As of Saturday night, the account had raised more than $3,000.

Source: Thanks https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/09/japantown-restaurant-severely-damaged-in-fire/