With all cakes, bake for the minimum time given in the recipe before opening the oven door. If the door is opened too soon, some cakes may deflate.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 50 minutes
Nine (when cut into squares)
- 150ml sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- 250g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 150g light muscovado sugar
- 60g walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 125g carrots, grated
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
For the topping
- 250g low-fat soft cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Chopped walnuts, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4. Lightly grease an 18cm square cake tin and line the bottom with baking parchment.
- Combine all the cake ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well until thoroughly blended. Turn into the prepared cake tin and level the surface.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, until the cake is well risen, firm to the touch, and beginning to shrink away from the sides of the tin.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes. Turn out on to a wire rack, peel off the lining paper, and leave to cool completely.
- To make the topping: mix together the cheese, honey and lemon juice. Spread on top of the cake and sprinkle the walnuts over the top. Store the cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Recipe from Mary Berry’s Complete Cookbook (DK, £30). Download the book from books.telegraph.co.uk
Source: Thanks https://www.telegraph.co.uk/recipes/0/carrot-cake-recipe/